Saturday, January 8, 2011

Molweni (Hello in Xhosa)


Hi there!

Over the past week I have been living in KTC, a township outside of Cape Town. During my time, I stayed with Mama Busa and she graciously welcomed me inside her home and into her family. When I wasn't stuffing my face with traditional Africa food, I was touring the townships and conducting interviews with Nombeko. I traveled to clinics, homes, and support groups in KTC, Guguletu, Nyanga, Khayalitsha.

On Thursday, Nombeko and I met up with the Clinical Operations Manger at MSF, Nomi. Together we took a train to Khayalitsha to tour the MSF Clinic..the largest AIDS clinic in the area, with over 7, 000+ patients (on ARV treatment) and the numbers continue to grow. An interview and tour later, we found ourselves in route to Nyanga where Nombeko served on a Community Advisory Board panel at a research center. It was neat to hear a community organizing approach to HIV/AIDS and it was also a delight to meet students from American University, one of whom is from the Twin Cities!

After our long day, I went home and took a nap. At around 5:00pm, Nombeko and I traveled to the University of Stellenbosch so that she could record voiceovers for a World AIDS Day Concert she performed in. Afterwards, Jimmie, a professor at U of Stell. invited us over to his home for cold drinks and of course we agreed. I rode with Jimmie and learned a little about his work. He is an African-American man from New Jersey that came to Cape Town a few years ago to do educational theatre about HIV/AIDS...and teach courses at the University of Stellenbosch. Anyway, we arrived at Jimmie and his partner Jan's beautiful home in Stellenbosch and one glass of wine turned into three glasses plus dinner! It was a great evening indeed with many laughs to be had and a few insults about my American background...Nevertheless, the two friendly men must have enjoyed my presence because they invited me to a dinner party for the theatre department this Thursday...obviously I'll be there :)

Friday was my day to relax and pack! Nombeko was kind enough to handwash and dry all of my clothing, which was very nice, so I basically slept all day in the house! Today, Toni took Nombeko for a ride through the Cape Town area. We started in town and drover through the mountains all the way to the Indian Ocean side of the bay...then we drove up and around Cape Point...the most southwest point in Africa and the point in which the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet! It was very fascinating! I swear I experienced all four seasons within 4 hours! After leaving Cape Point, we traveled to Stellenbosch, Fish Hoek, Simon's Town, and some of the bay's along the coast, including Hope and Camps Bay. We stopped in Hope Bay to enjoy some fresh seafood at Snoekie's! It was a neat town with a lot of charm...it reminded me a lot of Orange County actually. Afterwards, Toni dropped me off at my Hostel in the Green Point neighborhood and I was on my way for Part 3 of my trip :) Later in the evening, I met up with Aaron Asmundson, the faculty advisor of my UROP project, to catch up over dinner and talk about my experience in South Africa thus far. It was great to see a familiar face!

I am so thankful for my stay in the townships for so many reasons. First and foremost, the townships are the areas most infected with HIV/AIDS so I was able to capture over 2 hours with of interviews with community leaders, doctors, ministers, and patients. Secondly, I have never met so many good-hearted people in my life! Even though many people in the townships don't have much to claim besides dreams and hopes, all of the people I met were full of optimism and strength. In fact, many of the people that I met were thankful to be living another year. That's all. Another year meant another opportunity to be surrounded by the people they love. So inspiring. Regardless, I am glad to be back in the City of Cape Town. I don't have to bathe out of a bucket and I can walk around at nighttime if I want to! Ahh, the simple things in life ARE taken for granted. You're guilty as am I...

This week, I have a few meetings and interviews to do, but in the meantime, I can relax and finish doing tourist-y things (Table Mountain, District 6 Museum, Wine Tour, and relaxing at the beach).

All is well in this side of the World and I hope you are well also! Until next time....

Cheers,

Jermaine

No comments:

Post a Comment