Sunday, January 2, 2011

Champagne on the Rooftop



Hey!

It's been a hectic few days...

Today I had to travel to the airport about 15-20 miles outside of the city to grab my luggage that has been missing for FIVE DAYS! Grrr! I phoned the airline daily and never got a response so I took matters into my own hands. A few complaints later, I was on my way back to the hostel with my suitcase and compensation paperwork.

On New Years Eve, I traveled to the Victoria & Alfred (V&A) Waterfront Shopping District to capture some amazing footage of the harbor, skyline, and mountains. Later, I did some shopping and grabbed some food from the popular mall nearby and was overwhelmed by the high concentration of wealth in one area. There were designer stores, luxury car dealerships, and expensive hotels that lined the streets. Sadly, just miles away are impoverished townships (and neighborhoods within the city) that could use funds. I don't quite get the juxtaposition, but that is why I am here right?

Robben Island, the prison in which Nelson Mandela was held for many years for his political activism against the South African Apartheid government. Luckily, I was able to get a tour from a former prisoner who shared all of his wonderful insight about the conditions of the prison and the political climate as well. We spent an hour touring the island, which people still live on...just a few meters from the prison, as well as Nelson Mandela's prison cell! The tour was incredibly moving over all and I my appreciation for Nelson Mandela's work has only increased.

Later in the evening, I traveled back into town just in time for New Years Eve festivities. I enjoyed a few beverages with my hostel mates from America, Holland, Germany, and Brazil. We started with a few drinks in our room and then moved to the hostel's beautiful rooftop bar, with some of the BEST views of the city and the most amazing snacks anyone could ask for! On the contrary, strangers decided to ring in the year in MY BED. I wasn't fond of their vulgar behavior, but I can assure you that the situation was taken care of immediately :) Nevertheless, my new friends and I counted down the New Year together and shared hugs and kisses with people from ALL over the world! I enjoyed every moment of my celebrations and anxiously await all of the blessings 2011 will bring me.


Tomorrow, I will travel to one of Cape Town's impoverished townships caslled Guguletu. Many black Africans were forced to relocate to this region (amongst others) during apartheid. Unfortunately, many of these people suffer immensely from poverty, unemployment, and chronic diseased like HIV/AIDS. I will be staying with a host family and volunteering with the JL Zwane Community Centre for 5 days. My work will include delivering meals, filming support groups, interviews with the locals, and trips to local clinics and schools. I am particularly excited to finally begin the core of my research and will keep all of you updated!

Until next time, many blessings to all of you in the States!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such an awesome way to celebrate NYE with so many different cultures!
    Your work sounds so exciting! I'm proud of you for honing in on your inner journalist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jermainnneeee-

    Your description of people ringing in the new year in your bed=hilar! But I would def be upset and glad you knew how to handle it :-)

    Enjoying your blog while I'm in cold, dreary Wisconsin....you descriptions of what you have been doing bring back amazing memories.....thanks for sharing one of my favorite parts of the world WITH the world! Excited to see what is in store for you in Gugs.....where a majority of my learning happened!

    HUGS,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete